71943Re: Command Line Window problem

  • Yakov Lerner
    Aug 2, 2006
      > On 8/2/06, John Orr <john.orr@...> wrote:
      > > When you type a command in vim that results in text scrolling up the screen - eg :messages or :registers, you will be hit by one of two comments:
      > > Press ENTER or type command to continue
      > >
      > > OR
      > >
      > > -- More --
      > >
      > > depending upon whether there are more lines to display. Often, I want to good way to immediately go back to editing from either of these situations.
      > >
      > > To quit the "more" situation, pressing "q" seems to be a good option. It will also appear to work for the "Press ENTER or type a command" situation, in that it appears to be a command which in turn clears the text.
      > >
      > > However, in the "Press ENTER" situation, that q will be remembered as the start of a command.
      >
      > How about remapping normal-mode q to nop:
      > :nmap q <nop>
      > Then you can use q safely for both 'Press Enter' prompt and for 'More' prompt.
      > Does this help ?

      I retract my q mapping. It would make any normal-mode command
      involving q imopssible. Not good.

      Another solution would be to remap Esc in normal mode
      to suppress its visual bell:

      :nmap <esc> <nop>

      This does not make Escape key nearer, but it gets rid of
      visual bell when you use Esc in response to 'Press Enter'.

      Regarding remote nature of Esc key, I solved it for myself by
      I using mini-keyboard, 28x10cm. I love it. Everything is nearer
      on such keyboard, fingers need to travel less. I heard other people
      remap Esc key to some other less distant key.

      Yakov

      Yakov
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic