71007Re: Funcref and script local functions

  • Eric Arnold
    Jul 3, 2006
      > On 7/3/06, Yakov Lerner <iler.ml@...> wrote:
      > > On 6/30/06, Hari Krishna Dara <hari_vim@...> wrote:
      > > > ... The Funcref obtained via function('s:T') can't be
      > > > called from outside the script ... [unexpectedly]
      > >
      > > I agree, Hari. I'd expect funcref function('s:T') to be callable
      > > outside of the script, too.
      >
      > To make myself more clear. I expect g:Xxx() to be callable
      > from global scope of from another script in this example:
      >
      > " --- scritp x.vim
      > function! s:XXX()
      > echo "func XXX"
      > endfunction
      >
      > let g:Xxx=function('s:XXX')
      >
      > Yakov

      The problem with this is that you can no longer have private object
      function refs.

      I'd be interested to hear from Bram about what the intent was here.

      I think I can see some method in the maddness.

      1) let ref = function('s:XXX')

      This mains the standard scope rules for the func ref, and so it
      stays local even if the variable holding it is global. I can image
      situations where this could be useful.

      2) let ref = function('<SNR>66_XXX')

      This forces the function to be available globally because it is
      explicitely defined, and there is little chance of mistakes about
      that.

      3) function obj.funcref() dict

      Again, I think the intent for having the object function in the global
      scope is unknown (to me at least). I think it left global because you
      don't really need specific scoping for it, as when it is used, it
      *should* be used via the object name, which is scoped by the user.

      function s:obj.funcref() dict

      Hari, can you give an example of why function('s:T') should be
      globally scoped? I can't see a need for it, given all the
      possibilites for obtaining a ref.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic