67195Re: Help with :help !

  • Bill Pursell
    Apr 1, 2006
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > Bill Pursell wrote:
      >

      >>Benji Fisher wrote:
      >>
      >>> You can help!
      >>>
      >>> This request is aimed at anyone on this list who has received
      >>>valuable advice and wants to repay the vim community. That includes
      >>>lurkers!
      >>>
      >>> Vim 7.0 has now started beta testing. One thing that
      >>>non-developers, even newbies, can help with before the final release is
      >>>improving the documentation.
      >>>

      >><snip>
      >>
      >>After a total of 30 minutes playing with vim7, I decided to read through
      >>the documentation on tabpage. 2 things I noticed:
      >>
      >>1) The introduction begins with: "A tab page holds one or more
      >>windows." At this point, it is not entirely clear what these words
      >>mean. It might be nice to have a link from here (possibly on the words
      >>"tab page" and the word "window") to something like the definitions of
      >>the words "screen", "shell", and "window" that appear in the
      >>documentation for design-decisions. This is perhaps not that
      >>significant, but I think there is potential confusion.
      >

      > If you read the docs out-of-order you will miss some terms. If you
      > don't know what a window is you really need to read part of the user
      > manual first.

      I know what the terms mean. I'm simply trying to point out that it may
      be useful to have a back reference at that point of the documentation.

      >>2) he: tabdo Tabdo is listed in the documentation as not taking a !
      >>argument, while windo does. I presume windo! {cmd} will process cmd
      >>on all windows, regardless of any errors, but that's not stated in the
      >>text. I notice that tabdo! is indeed not legal, and I'm curious to know
      >>why. It would be handy if you could continue to process other tabs when
      >>an error occurs. (Is that what the '!' on windo does?)
      >

      > Actually, :windo doesn't use the ! argument. It's only for :bufdo,
      > which may need to close the current buffer, which fails if it was
      > modified.

      Then I would suggest that the documentation for windo not specify an
      optional !. Either that, or tabdo do should allow it (and ignore it)
      the same way windo does. The documentation and behavior should be
      consistent.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic