67192Re: Help with :help !

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Apr 1, 2006
      Bill Pursell wrote:

      > Benji Fisher wrote:
      > > You can help!
      > >
      > > This request is aimed at anyone on this list who has received
      > > valuable advice and wants to repay the vim community. That includes
      > > lurkers!
      > >
      > > Vim 7.0 has now started beta testing. One thing that
      > > non-developers, even newbies, can help with before the final release is
      > > improving the documentation.
      > >
      > <snip>
      >
      > After a total of 30 minutes playing with vim7, I decided to read through
      > the documentation on tabpage. 2 things I noticed:
      >
      > 1) The introduction begins with: "A tab page holds one or more
      > windows." At this point, it is not entirely clear what these words
      > mean. It might be nice to have a link from here (possibly on the words
      > "tab page" and the word "window") to something like the definitions of
      > the words "screen", "shell", and "window" that appear in the
      > documentation for design-decisions. This is perhaps not that
      > significant, but I think there is potential confusion.

      If you read the docs out-of-order you will miss some terms. If you
      don't know what a window is you really need to read part of the user
      manual first.

      > 2) he: tabdo Tabdo is listed in the documentation as not taking a !
      > argument, while windo does. I presume windo! {cmd} will process cmd
      > on all windows, regardless of any errors, but that's not stated in the
      > text. I notice that tabdo! is indeed not legal, and I'm curious to know
      > why. It would be handy if you could continue to process other tabs when
      > an error occurs. (Is that what the '!' on windo does?)

      Actually, :windo doesn't use the ! argument. It's only for :bufdo,
      which may need to close the current buffer, which fails if it was
      modified.

      There is no way for ":somedo" command to continue past an error, except
      putting your commands in a try/catch block.

      --
      A disclaimer for the disclaimer:
      "and before I get a huge amount of complaints , I have no control over the