67188Re: Help with :help !

  • Eric Arnold
    Apr 1, 2006
      The Vim7 sections I have had trouble with so far are for the "tabline" and the
      new List and Dictionary support. The examples have errors in them, ranging
      from missing "let" commands before setting variables, to more subtle stuff.

      It would have been better for the example for a "tabline" function to be a
      working template. I have just written a more detailed script. I wasn't able
      to find a .vim file delivered with the runtime stuff that is responsible for
      the default tabline behaviour. Is it internal, or did I miss something? It
      would be nice to have the default accessible, and perhaps a few alternatives
      (like colorschemes, etc.).

      The explanations of how failures manifest in the world of lists and dicts
      should be extended. It's pretty easy (for me anyway) to get yourself into a
      mess where you are frazzled trying to track down "type mismatch" errors (I
      posted about this maddness earlier). I can't say whether the lists and dicts
      will mature, and be completely robust about handling foolish invocations, but a
      trouble shooting section would be helpful in any case.

      --- Bill Pursell <bill.pursell@...> wrote:

      > Benji Fisher wrote:
      > > You can help!
      > >
      > > This request is aimed at anyone on this list who has received
      > > valuable advice and wants to repay the vim community. That includes
      > > lurkers!
      > >
      > > Vim 7.0 has now started beta testing. One thing that
      > > non-developers, even newbies, can help with before the final release is
      > > improving the documentation.
      > >
      > <snip>
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic