67186Re: Help with :help !

  • Bill Pursell
    Apr 1, 2006
      Benji Fisher wrote:
      > You can help!
      >
      > This request is aimed at anyone on this list who has received
      > valuable advice and wants to repay the vim community. That includes
      > lurkers!
      >
      > Vim 7.0 has now started beta testing. One thing that
      > non-developers, even newbies, can help with before the final release is
      > improving the documentation.

      <snip>

      After a total of 30 minutes playing with vim7, I decided to read through
      the documentation on tabpage. 2 things I noticed:

      1) The introduction begins with: "A tab page holds one or more
      windows." At this point, it is not entirely clear what these words
      mean. It might be nice to have a link from here (possibly on the words
      "tab page" and the word "window") to something like the definitions of
      the words "screen", "shell", and "window" that appear in the
      documentation for design-decisions. This is perhaps not that
      significant, but I think there is potential confusion.

      2) he: tabdo Tabdo is listed in the documentation as not taking a !
      argument, while windo does. I presume windo! {cmd} will process cmd
      on all windows, regardless of any errors, but that's not stated in the
      text. I notice that tabdo! is indeed not legal, and I'm curious to know
      why. It would be handy if you could continue to process other tabs when
      an error occurs. (Is that what the '!' on windo does?)

      Also, I'm not sure if this is a result of an improper install (I
      downloaded from the cvs, used 'vim -c make' to build, set VIMRUNTIME to
      the resultant runtime dir, and executed via "vim -u NONE"), but I no
      longer have any history in command mode, and I can't use <CTRL>f to
      enter the command window.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic