      Subject: Re: insertmode and importing a script.
      Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 10:46:14 -0500
      From: John R. Culleton <john@...>
      To: A. J. Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...>

      On Thursday 01 December 2005 07:17 pm, you wrote:
      > John R. Culleton wrote:
      > > I am developing an application where vim in some form will play
      > > a key role. For simplicity of use by non-vimers I want to suggest
      > > either eVim or Cream to start with. But to perform certain
      > > functions more easlily i need to be able to import scripts into
      > > the run.

      OK I think I am getting close. first I copied the file evim.vim
      to the work directory and renamed it first.vim. My command line
      (to be put in a .bat file) is now
      evim -u first.vim

      Evim.vim calls mswin.vim so I copied mswin.vim over also. I don't
      want to be dependent on the location of other files on the
      system since that can change.

      Now, to the commands proper. I moved the set insertmode command
      to the end of the first.vim file and inserted some lines of this form:

      imap <F3> <Ctrl-L>:!pdftex book.tex<Ctrl-M> :set insertmode Ctrl-M>

      Of course I used Ctrl-V Ctrl-L to create the character I
      represent above as <Ctrl-L>. The same goes for the Ctrl-M
      characters.

      EXPLANATION

      The above line only works in insert mode, but then the user is kept in
      insert mode anyhow (by the concluding :set insertmode line in the
      first.vim file.)

      Ctrl-L is like Ctrl-O except that it allows multiple commands to
      follow.

      In this application the main file is always called book.tex, no
      matter what file is being edited. Hence the :!pdftex book.tex
      line is what is wanted.

      The concluding :set insertmode command puts the user back in
      insert mode after the compile is finished and the user hits
      return.

      This configuration works in Linux. I haven't tested it yet in
      MSWin 2000 which is the target environment. Stay tuned.

      Thanks to all who helped.

      John Culleton