60096RE: Mapping the > character

  • David Fishburn
    Jul 7 6:02 AM

      > On Jun 30, David Fishburn wrote:
      >
      > > Vim 6.3.75 WinXP SP2
      > >
      > > Standard usage:
      > > :map <C-F1> :do something<CR>
      > >
      > > But what if you want to use the "<" and ">" keys in your map?
      > >
      > > Really I wanted CTRL->, but I do not believe we can use >
      > that key since if I type:
      > > :<C-V><C->> (^V, followed by ^>)
      > > I do not get any output, so I assume this means I cannot
      > > map that key.
      > >
      > > So I tried ALT->, using ^V I can see this has a value.
      > > So I can map it using ^V and then the character.
      > > However, I do not like doing this since it is not >
      > particularily self documenting. Is there anyway to map >
      > these characters while escaping them (or something).
      >
      > Try typing a ^V M-> in a buffer and then use ga to see what
      > it is. Just a quick check: you are typing M-> and not M-.
      > right? In gvim on W32 I find mapping <M-.> and <M->> works fine.

      Thanks Antony.

      I added the following to my .vimrc:

      " These two characters are the ALT-< and ALT->.
      " To determine what character # these are go into insert mode
      " in a new buffer. Press CTRL-V then ALT and the > key.
      " Leave insert mode, move the cursor onto the character
      " and press ga. This will display the decimal, hex and octal
      " representation of the character. In this case, they are
      " 172 and 174.
      :map <Char-172> :do something<CR>
      :map <Char-174> :do something else<CR>

      Hopefully this might help someone else.