56405Re: Permissions of files messed up by gVIM on Cygwin

  • Jean-Sebastien Trottier
    Feb 7, 2005
      Hi Karthik,

      It seems as though you are talking about the Windows version of gvim,
      not gvim compiled for Cygwin, right?

      The Windows version of gvim does not know anything about the special
      ACLs (Access Control Lists) that Cygwin uses. Creating a new file on
      Windows' Notepad would also create a "executable" file.

      You should be able to work around this issue by changing the
      "backupcopy" variable in gvim. See:
      :help 'backupcopy'

      You should try ":set backupcopy=yes" (without the quotes), this will
      make sure that the original permissions on your files are left
      untouched.

      Good luck,
      Sebastien

      On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 07:15:01PM -0500, Karthik Krishnan wrote:
      > Dear VIM users and developers,
      >
      > When I open files and save files using gVim from my cygwin shell, their
      > permissions get set to executable. This messes up their colouring and
      > cvs writes. Setting umask to 644 did not help. This does not happen when
      > I open files with vi or vim. Has anybody had the same problem ?
      >
      > Thanks
      > karthik

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic