54300Re: viminfo, args and --remote

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Oct 15, 2004
      Antony Scriven <adscriven@...> wrote:
      [...]
      > Another reason to always load the buffer list would be that
      > when you exit vim it writes the current buffer list to the
      > viminfo file. I have a very large and useful buffer list in
      > my viminfo and I don't want that wiped out if I've started
      > vim with an argument list. I currently use an autocommand to
      > get around that. I suppose I could modify that to always
      > load the buffer list when vim is started, but I'm used to
      > the current behaviour (when not starting vim with --remote)
      > at the moment.
      [...]
      > Antony

      It oughtn't to be hard: I believe that

      :autocmd VimEnter * rviminfo

      would do the trick (but I haven't tested it). Or maybe that's what you use
      already? IMO you should write a tip about it for Vim-online.

      N.B.: OTOH, for those who like a "clean" buffer list, ":ls!" followed (at
      the More or Hit-Enter prompt) by ":bw <number>..." (i.e. bw with one or more
      buffer numbers) will let you erase entries (forever, or at least until
      re-created, so be careful what you wipe out); but the remaining ones will
      keep their numbers until next restart. Note the difference between ":ls!"
      and ":ls" and between ":bw[ipeout]" and ":bd[elete]".