53860Re: vimrc on windows

  • Mathias Michaelis
    Sep 29, 2004
      Hi Antoine,

      I have the following configuration:

      o Windows XP, vim63

      o The whole vim distribution for _all_ users is in
      %ProgramFiles%\vim\

      o The vim installer has put some BAT file to %windir%

      o Every user that wants to use vim has to create an _empty_
      directory, for example in %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\vim,
      copy the _empty_ vimfile tree and the two files myvimrc.vim and
      mswin.vim in it.

      o $VIMRUNTIME is set by the Administrator to %ProgramFiles%\vim\,
      $VIM has been set by individual users to the path of her/his
      directory (but every user is free to let $VIM undefined so
      vim can figure it out by itself).

      Now you pretend it would be better to do the following:

      o No BAT-file in WINDOWS (this is a matter of taste, but in
      principle I agree with that).

      o Put (g)vim.exe into the PATH environment variable

      o Let vim figure out $VIM and $VIMRUNTIME by itself or
      set $VIM=%ProgramFiles%\vim\ and let vim figure out $VIMRUNTIME.

      o Put the personal _vimrc into %USERPROFILE% (that is mapped to
      $HOME by vim). I can then put my myvimrc.vim and mswin.vim where
      I want ant source them from within _vimrc.

      o Put an _empty_ vimfiles tree into the directory %USERPROFILE%.

      Ok - I didn't tried out that, but in my oppinion, as far as I
      understood the documention you recommended me to read, this should
      work. The only weak point is that with Windows XP all configuration
      files are normally stored under

      "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\<<Program Name>>"

      and _not_ directly under %USERPROFILE%.

      In the documentation a additional environment variable $VIMINIT was
      mentioned. Is it in your opinion allowed to

      set VIMINIT=%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\vim ?

      Now to the arguments: I belief that I have found the only way to
      store vim's configuration file in a way that is usual under Windows
      XP without the need of changing vim's sources. Until yet, nobody has
      proved me that with my configuration something doesn't work.

      To your arguments:

      > Later you see that Vim normally figures out $VIMRUNTIME without
      > your help. I find it wasteful to have to copy the wholo
      > distribution to as many different places as there are users on a
      > system (since typically, the sysadmin will want to make Vim
      > available to all of them). Just imagine a large university with a
      > different $HOME for every student (also teacher, etc.)!

      As mentioned above, I do not have any file twice on my system: Every
      user has his own configuration files, that's all. She/He doesn't
      even need to copy the empty vimfiles tree, because vim looks up the
      $VIMRUNTIME if it doesn't find a 'runtime' file under $VIM.

      > Vim doesn't use many files in $HOME, except those on or under
      > $HOME/.vim or $HOME/vimfiles, which is vim-specific, and, on XP
      > and similar, amounts to %USERPROFILE%\vimfiles aka
      > %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH\vimfiles.

      Yes, but not to

      %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH\Application Data\vim\vimfiles

      Ok -- I think I could live with your configuration, now that I am
      understanding it, but I am just happy with the mine too. And its
      file structure fits better in the Windows XP directory tree.

      > you can keep the BAT files; but they arent 100% to my taste.

      Yes, They are also not 100% my taste. If I once will install (g)vim
      without an installer, I won't create BAT-Files, but use the PATH
      environment variable.

      >> But anyway: If you can give me an example of something that doesn't
      >> work with my (certainly non standard) configuration, then I will
      >> belief you ;-) I am just happy with my vim environment at the
      >> moment :-)
      >>
      > The example is further up (a large university) but it hits in a lesser
      > degree every multiuser installation: having what amounts to a full Vim
      > distribution repeated under each user's HOME directory is (1) awkward if
      > there are many users, and (2) it makes upgrading more error-prone since you
      > have to update the distribution for each user instead of updating it
      > centrally.

      As mentioned: I have vim installed at only one place, so as long as
      the vim scripting language of the old configuration files within the
      user directory trees can be interpreted by new born vims, I don't
      see any waste neither in disc space nor in my administrativ work.

      But anyway, as soon as I find something that does not work because
      of my way to use vim, I will switch to your method. Thanks for your
      hints!

      Sincerly,
      Mathias
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic