53846Re: vimrc on windows

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Sep 29, 2004
      Mathias Michaelis <michaelis@...> wrote:
      > I've written:
      >
      > > Furthermore: The variable $HOME is IMHO not "vim specific" enough. I
      > > want all the numerous files (and the user specific vimfiles-tree) in
      > > a directory called `vimĀ“ somewhere in %USERPROFILE% or %HOMEPATH%.
      > >
      > But it's even worse: I want to have the personal files at
      >
      > %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\vim
      >
      > If there is another way than using $VIM or the not vim specific
      > $HOME variable, then I do not hesistate to try it out.
      >
      > Sincerly
      > Mathias

      On systems where soft links are possible (they are on Unix, and I've heard
      they are possible on NTFS filesystems too but I'm not yet as deep versed as
      that into the "novelties" of NT-like systems) you can just link
      %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\vim to %HOME%\vimfiles (NB -- %USERPROFILE%
      and %HOME% are assumed to be the same). Or you can, as a user, have a
      slightly different configuration, and set your %HOME% to your
      %USERPROFILE%\Application Data -- then your files will be in
      %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\vimfiles which is almost what you said you
      wanted, and that without a soft link.

      NB. I don't see an "Application Data" subdir in my C:\Documents and
      Settings\Tony (aka %USERPROFILE%) on my new (French-language) XP system. The
      nearest to it that I can see is "Mes documents".