      From: Trebor Sreyb [mailto:tsreyb@...]
      Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 1:16 PM
      To: vim@...
      Subject: Supplying repeat count for part of a macro

      I use the following definitions:

      :let e = "kmmj.`m"
      :map <F12> @e

      These allow me to apply the same change in the same
      column over a series of lines (from last line on up).
      By simply hitting F12 the desired number of times my
      changes are applied very easily.

      Because some of my files have lots of column-aligned
      text, these macros have become extremely useful.

      Also, by specifying a repeat count before pressing
      F12, I can easily make the same edit to many lines
      with very few keystrokes.

      However, the final enhancement I'd like to make is to
      mark the initial cursor location (prior to the first
      edit), apply F12 some specified number of times, and
      finally return to the original location.

      In other words, I'd like to do this as follows
      (example using 15 lines to be edited):

      When completed, the cursor is at the same spot it was
      when I first typed the '15'.

      But I cannot come up with a solution. I thought of
      defining another macro that calls @e, but it would
      need to know how many times to call @e.

      Is there a register that saves the most recent Repeat
      Count? I can't find such a register.

      Any suggestions welcome.

      Andover, MA

      Do you Yahoo!?