48066Re: Romanian IME on Windows XP

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Mar 1, 2004
      Ionutz Borcoman <borco@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I have some problem with the Windows IME on WIndows XP.
      >
      > I am trying to write some text in Romanian using the windows IME. The
      > problem is that, when I switch the IME and try to produce \u 0x015f I
      > get \u 0x00ba.
      >
      > I have attached a file to this e-mail to illustrate my problem. Lines
      > 3-6 where typed in VIM with the Romanian IME activated. Lines 10-13
      > where typed using the same IME, but in Notepad.exe, then copyed from
      > it and pasted in the VIM. Lines 3-6 should be identical with 10-13,
      > but they aren't !
      >
      > My questions are:
      >
      > 1. any ideea why is this happening ?
      > 2. can this be solved without making a keymap for vim that translates
      > \u 0x00ba to \u 0x015f ?
      > 3. should I make a keymap that translates \u 0x00ba to \u 0x0015f or
      > ignore alltogether the windows IME and make a keymap that translates
      > ';' to \u 015f, for example ?
      >
      > TIA,
      >
      > Ionutz

      I'm not sure what you call "Romanian IME". (I thought IM were only for
      languages like Chinese, Japanese and Korean.) If you mean the same thing as
      what I call the "International Keyboard" application, then I can tell you
      that Vim is not aware of it.

      I have an International Keyboard installed on my W98 system, and it works
      somehow (with the help of "paper keyboards" to tell me which key I must
      press to get what) in WordPad (not in W98 Notepad, which is very primitive,
      and knows nothing about any encoding other than the default 8-bit encoding
      defined by the locale). But in gvim, I keep the keyboard setting to its
      startup default (fr_BE in my case), and if and when I need some "exotic"
      characters like the accented consonants of Esperanto or the non-Latin
      characters of Russian and Arabic, then I use either digraphs or keymaps.
      Those keymaps define "language mappings" whose "left-hand sides" are based
      on my default keyboard setting, i.e., latin1.

      IMHO, digraphs are enough for most Latin encodings; for non-Latin alphabets,
      they are usable, but keymaps are easier.

      See also

      :help 'keymap'
      :help keymap-file-format

      http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=246 (What to know, and
      where to look for help, when using Unicode in gvim)

      http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=789 (Orderly
      switching from one's defaul "locale" encoding to UTF-8)

      I have also published two sample keymaps: a very simple one for Esperanto
      (and Bram included it in the 6.2 distro), another for Russian (uploaded
      yesterday at vim-online). You can find more examples by looking in
      $VIMRUNTIME/keymap.

      HTH,