47412Re: virus attachments

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Feb 2, 2004
      jonah <jonahgoldstein@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I've been receiving 10-20 emails from the vim mailing list everyday
      > that Yahoo! Mail Virus Protection marks as "Alert: Virus Detected but
      > Not Cleaned." Is everyone getting these? Is there some way we can
      > stop them?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Jonah

      No, you're not alone. There are several variants of this virus, consisting
      of one line of pseudo-administrative plaintext with or without an attachment
      and often with titles like "Test", "HELLO", "Status", etc. _My_ antivirus
      replaces the attachment (when there is one) by an innocuous text file with a
      fixed name (in French: "Suppression de Norton Antivirus1.txt"). There was a
      huge lot of them the first day, then it seems to have relatively calmed
      down, with the exception of a few bursts. (Some ISPs have taken measures,
      e.g., mine says it is temporarily blocking _outgoing_ mails containing the
      virus and that it is firewalling the ports that the malicious program can
      open.) I believe (rightly or wrongly) that we have seen the worst of it and
      that it will abate with time.