47388Re: Bash vi mode (Semi off-topic)

  • Ross A. Osborn
    Feb 2, 2004
      On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 07:26:51AM -0800, Scott LaBounty wrote:
      > I've been reading the "Learning the bash Shell" book from O'Reilly and
      > especially the vi mode for command line editing. I've tried it a time or
      > two before without much success. Actually, it would work but, I never
      > got very comfortable with it (surprising in that I've been using vi(m)
      > for almost two decades). Do others here use it? Any tricks to make it
      > work better? Any other thoughts?
      >
      > Scott LaBounty
      > Nexa Technologies, Inc.

      I've been using it for 10+ years on ksh and bash but as I recall I was
      comfortable with it almost instantly.

      When I show this to co-workers I tell them to imagine they are on the
      last line of a file. The previous lines of the file are the previous
      commands they have executed. The only thing I know of where this
      analogy fails is when you search through your command history with '/'.
      This will search up through the imaginary file and not down.

      99% of my editing is probably done by moving the cursor with 'w', 'b',
      'f', 't' and making changes with the 'c' and 'd' commands.

      Can you elaborate on what your not comfortable with.

      Ross
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic