45625Document encoding autodetection

  • DukO
    Dec 1, 2003
      Hello all,

      I'm running RH9 machine with UTF-8 encoding as the "core" one.
      Time to time I'm editing documents in ISO-8859-2 and CP-1250
      encoding. To make my life easier, I've put into my .vimrc file
      the following line:

      set fileencodings=utf-8,iso-8859-2,cp1250,latin1

      Well, but it doesn't work as I can't see properly some characters.
      Probably the autodetection fails or selects wrong encoding.

      Nevertheless, if I let the .vimrc file like:

      set fileencodings=utf-8,latin1

      and use command:

      e ++enc=cp1250 <filename>

      then it works OK, but it is too clumsy. Is there any way out?

      Thanks,

      Dusan Kolar
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic