43220Re: Strange buffer numbering, b# doesn't work

  • Sören Edzen
    Sep 10, 2003
      * Antoine J. Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> [2003-09-10 08:08]:
      > Soren Edzen <soredz@...> wrote:
      > > Hi!
      > > f I have one or more files open in vim and I open a new file in vim it
      > > doesn't get the next number in the buffer list. ( 9 instead of 3 etc)
      > > It's almost as if it's a logaritmic increse of the numbers in the
      > > buffer list. iI could live with that if wasn't for the fact that the
      > > command
      > > > b# doesn't work. When I issue the command :ls no file has the # in
      > > front of them.
      > > I have noticed two occations when this occurs. When I open saved
      > > sessions, the buffers becomes numbered in the described way. The other
      > > is when I work with files checked out from cvs. I am not sure that it
      > > has to do with these two occations. They are the only common things
      > > that I've noticed.
      > > Can some one please tell what's going on?
      > >
      > > --
      > > Svren Edzen
      >
      > Some buffers (help files etc.) do not appear in the buffer list except with
      > some commands like :ls! (with exclamation mark). When you open a new file it
      > gets the next number after all buffers including "unlisted" buffers; and
      > IIUC no buffer number gets reused even after :bwipeout.
      >
      > See :help new-unlisted-buffers for an explanation of what these "unlisted"
      > buffers are.
      >
      > HTH,
      > Tony.

      Thanks for your replay, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.
      I have tested it more thoroughly and come to the conclusion that it has
      to do with CVS. If I have a file, checked out from a cvs repository, in
      one buffer, then there is no "#" in front of any file. But if I remove
      the cvs file from the buffer list by the command :bd the "#" reappears.
      can anyone explain this strange behavior?

      TIA,
      Sören.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic