43033Re: Strange buffer numbering, b# doesn't work

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Sep 2, 2003
      Soren Edzen <soredz@...> wrote:
      > Hi!
      > f I have one or more files open in vim and I open a new file in vim it
      > doesn't get the next number in the buffer list. ( 9 instead of 3 etc)
      > It's almost as if it's a logaritmic increse of the numbers in the
      > buffer list. iI could live with that if wasn't for the fact that the
      > command
      > > b# doesn't work. When I issue the command :ls no file has the # in
      > front of them.
      > I have noticed two occations when this occurs. When I open saved
      > sessions, the buffers becomes numbered in the described way. The other
      > is when I work with files checked out from cvs. I am not sure that it
      > has to do with these two occations. They are the only common things
      > that I've noticed.
      > Can some one please tell what's going on?
      >
      > --
      > Svren Edzen

      Some buffers (help files etc.) do not appear in the buffer list except with
      some commands like :ls! (with exclamation mark). When you open a new file it
      gets the next number after all buffers including "unlisted" buffers; and
      IIUC no buffer number gets reused even after :bwipeout.

      See :help new-unlisted-buffers for an explanation of what these "unlisted"
      buffers are.

      HTH,