42962Re: Question on :split

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Aug 29, 2003
      From: "Klaus Bosau" <kbosau@...>
      Sent: Friday, August 29, 2003 4:11 PM
      Subject: Question on :split

      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm wondering whether there's a command that opens a new window to the
      > left of the current window while still keeping the current windows's
      > position on the screen..
      >
      > +----------------------------------------------
      > |

      > | (x,y)
      > | o----------------------+
      > | | |
      > | | |
      > | | current |
      > | | |
      > | | |
      > | | |
      > | +----------------------+

      > +-----------------------------------------------
      > |

      > | (x,y)
      > | +------------o----------------------+
      > | | | |
      > | | | |
      > | | new | current |
      > | | | |
      > | | | |
      > | | | |
      > | +------------+----------------------+
      > |

      > Thanks in advance!
      >
      > KLaus

      IIUC, what you want is a command similar to :vsplit, but which would alter
      the gvim window's posieion and size to accomodate the new buffer window. If
      that is what you want, the answer (AFAIK) is no. The only ways (that I know
      of) to modify the gvim window's size and position from within gvim (i.e.,
      other than redimensioning with the mouse or with the System menu) are :set
      lines, :set column, and :winpos. The splitting mechanism (where ":leftabove
      vsplit" is the closest to what you ask that I can come up with) is something
      quite distinct.