39391Re: Where did escape go?

  • John Culleton
    Apr 28, 2003
      On Monday 28 April 2003 06:51 am, Dirk Schenkewitz wrote:
      > John Culleton wrote:
      > > On Sunday 27 April 2003 10:14 am, John Culleton wrote:
      > > > ... [snipped]...
      > >
      > > But I would still like pointers to answers on the above two questions.
      > >
      > > I am interested in Evim not so much for myself, but I am writing a book
      > > which among other things recommends Vim as a better text editor than
      > > MSWord. However my audience will be if possible less technically adept
      > > than I am so I want to start them out with something that is not
      > > "mode hell." I always find myself in the wrong mode and have to backrack
      > > when for example the string "gqap" appears in the text of a paragraph.
      > >
      > > All assistance, past, present and hopefully future appreciated :=)
      > >
      > :-) I feel with you, because I had (and sometimes still have) the mode
      >
      > problem myself. In fact, that was the reason why I learned to hate vi,
      > (I knew better editors, like WordStar, back then) and only vim with its
      > nice additional features and improvements cured me from that hate.
      > To the point: I use something I found in a script named "Colorize.vim"
      > by doug edmunds <being_doug@...> (forgot the URL among the vim
      > scripts) that changes the background color when I go into insert mode.
      > Here is the major part of its contens:
      > " To Install:
      > " Add these lines to your _gvimrc file (located in the same dir as gvim)
      > "
      > " ======================
      > " the main keystrokes that put you into insert mode
      > noremap i :highlight Normal guibg=MistyRose<cr>i
      > noremap o :highlight Normal guibg=MistyRose<cr>o
      > noremap s :highlight Normal guibg=MistyRose<cr>s
      > noremap a :highlight Normal guibg=MistyRose<cr>a
      > noremap I :highlight Normal guibg=MistyRose<cr>I
      > noremap O :highlight Normal guibg=MistyRose<cr>O
      > noremap S :highlight Normal guibg=MistyRose<cr>S
      > noremap A :highlight Normal guibg=MistyRose<cr>A
      >
      > "You need the next line to change the color back when you hit escape.
      > inoremap <Esc> <Esc>:highlight Normal guibg=Sys_Window<cr>
      >
      > "Note: the color "Sys_Window" works for Windows only.
      > "If running linux, use white or lightgrey instead.
      >
      > That helps a bit. Another thing I haven't tried yet: Cream, to be
      > found on http://cream.sourceforge.net/.
      >
      > Hope that helps - have fun.
      > dirk

      Yes my Vim now blushes prettily when in insert mode. But the command
      string gqap no longer works as expected. When I comment out the
      code listed above it works again. Puzzling---

      John Culleton

      Free 20MB Web Site Hosting and Personalized E-mail Service!
      Get It Now At Doteasy.com http://www.doteasy.com/et/
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic