39363Re: Where did escape go?

  • Dirk Schenkewitz
    Apr 28, 2003
      John Culleton wrote:

      > On Sunday 27 April 2003 10:14 am, John Culleton wrote:
      > > ... [snipped]...
      >
      > But I would still like pointers to answers on the above two questions.
      >
      > I am interested in Evim not so much for myself, but I am writing a book
      > which among other things recommends Vim as a better text editor than
      > MSWord. However my audience will be if possible less technically adept
      > than I am so I want to start them out with something that is not
      > "mode hell." I always find myself in the wrong mode and have to backrack
      > when for example the string "gqap" appears in the text of a paragraph.
      >
      > All assistance, past, present and hopefully future appreciated :=)

      :-) I feel with you, because I had (and sometimes still have) the mode
      problem myself. In fact, that was the reason why I learned to hate vi,
      (I knew better editors, like WordStar, back then) and only vim with its
      nice additional features and improvements cured me from that hate.
      To the point: I use something I found in a script named "Colorize.vim"
      by doug edmunds <being_doug@...> (forgot the URL among the vim
      scripts) that changes the background color when I go into insert mode.
      Here is the major part of its contens:
      " To Install:
      " Add these lines to your _gvimrc file (located in the same dir as gvim)
      "
      " ======================
      " the main keystrokes that put you into insert mode
      noremap i :highlight Normal guibg=MistyRose<cr>i
      noremap o :highlight Normal guibg=MistyRose<cr>o
      noremap s :highlight Normal guibg=MistyRose<cr>s
      noremap a :highlight Normal guibg=MistyRose<cr>a
      noremap I :highlight Normal guibg=MistyRose<cr>I
      noremap O :highlight Normal guibg=MistyRose<cr>O
      noremap S :highlight Normal guibg=MistyRose<cr>S
      noremap A :highlight Normal guibg=MistyRose<cr>A

      "You need the next line to change the color back when you hit escape.
      inoremap <Esc> <Esc>:highlight Normal guibg=Sys_Window<cr>

      "Note: the color "Sys_Window" works for Windows only.
      "If running linux, use white or lightgrey instead.

      That helps a bit. Another thing I haven't tried yet: Cream, to be
      found on http://cream.sourceforge.net/.

      Hope that helps - have fun.
      dirk
      --
      Dirk Schenkewitz

      InterFace AG fon: +49 (0)89 / 610 49 - 126
      Leipziger Str. 16 fax: +49 (0)89 / 610 49 - 83
      D-82008 Unterhaching
      http://www.interface-ag.de mailto:dirk.schenkewitz@...
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic