39349Re: Where did escape go?

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Apr 27, 2003
      John Culleton <john@...> wrote:
      > On Sunday 27 April 2003 10:14 am, John Culleton wrote:
      > >
      > > I understand there is documentation somewhere on remapping keys
      > > for Vim on Windows. And I hope there is documentation on this
      > > intriguing Evim or modeless form of Vim that I have discovered
      > > through this thread. But unfortunately there is so MUCH
      > > documentation that it is a bit like hiding a leaf in a forest.
      > >
      > > So can anyone suggest specific sources on these two questions:
      > >
      > > 1. Remapping keys in Win98SE
      > > 2. Using colon etc. commands in Evim.
      > >
      > > All assistance appreciated.
      > >
      > > John Culleton
      > >
      > A further update: I reloaded Win 98 and my original problem went away.
      > Escape now works as expected.
      > But I would still like pointers to answers on the above two questions.
      > I am interested in Evim not so much for myself, but I am writing a
      > book which among other things recommends Vim as a better text editor
      > than MSWord. However my audience will be if possible less technically
      > adept than I am so I want to start them out with something that is not
      > "mode hell." I always find myself in the wrong mode and have to
      > backrack when for example the string "gqap" appears in the text of a
      > paragraph.
      > All assistance, past, present and hopefully future appreciated :=)
      > John Culleton

      Hm... Do as you wish, but... Although I come from Dos and Windows, I don't
      like Evim. The few times I loaded it by mistake, I wondered why vim wouln't
      react "preoperly" until I realised my mistake.

      Normally, in (g)Vim, when you're not in normal mode, the mode is displayed
      at the bottom left (--INSERT--, --REPLACE--, etc.), the rest is just
      realising which errors one has made.

      And -- Vim has an excellent "tutor" with lessons and graduated exercises,
      and a help system that beats most M$ programs hands down. Have fun!

      (Just my 0.02 € of course)
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic