35524Re: Problem with menu items

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Jan 1, 2003
      Klaus Bosau <kbosau@...> wrote:
      > On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
      >
      > > Oops! 2nd byte is FA, not F0.
      >
      > Hi Antoine,
      >
      > the sequence in question showed up where (normal mode) keystrokes
      > normally are shown. Are there any commands which could have caused this?
      > "128" for instance... It denotes the symbol for the european monetary
      > unit. Isn't it unlikely that a normal mode command contains this
      > character?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Klaus

      I'm still thinking of something nasty, stack overflow, buffer ovrerun, using
      an uninitialized pointer, etc. That bytestring looked to me like an
      out-of-contest snippet of program code, possibly for some Intel x86
      platform, but too short to be easily understood. In that case your 128 would
      be a 0x80 byte somewhere in an instruction, and it cannot be interpreted
      without knowing at least where the (possibly multibyte) instruction starts.
      And anyway once you start unintentionally handling program code as data, all
      hell can break loose anytime.