32841Re: diff between CVS vs. manual patching

  • Ingo Oeser
    Oct 2, 2002
      Hi there,

      On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 03:12:00PM +1000, Erik Christiansen wrote:
      > To summarise the files new to cvs, I run a trivial bash function in
      > the top of the working tree:
      >
      > cvsq ()
      > {
      > cvs update 2>/dev/null | grep '^\?'
      > }

      This will also update the working tree! (People not familiar with
      CVS don't always know this)

      So I would suggest:

      cvsq ()
      {
      cvs -n update 2>/dev/null | grep '^\?'
      }

      to just SHOW the new files and not update the working tree, while
      we are at it. 'cvs update' should always be done interactive,
      because it can lead to merge errors, which need to be fixed manually.

      Regards

      Ingo Oeser
      --
      Science is what we can tell a computer. Art is everything else. --- D.E.Knuth
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic