32805Re: Attention! warning message at yahoo groups

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Oct 1, 2002
      Gary Johnson wrote:

      > On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 01:44:42PM -0700, Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
      > > I just saw this warning message when I went to yahoo groups page to
      > > do a search in it.
      > >
      > > Warning! Your group has exceeded its message storage limits of 64 MB
      > > by 0.0 MB. If you don't remove messages, older messages will be
      > > deleted to make room for new ones
      > It seems to me a strange coincidence that the same message appeared at
      > about the same time on the mutt-users archive pages, e.g.,
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mutt-users/messages/34285
      > It doesn't seem very likely that both the vim and mutt-users groups
      > would have stored exactly 64 MB at the same time. I would suspect
      > either a bug in their software or a policy change.

      I got a reply from an insider. It appears that the policy for the
      storage limit already exists for a longer time, but they only recently
      added the warning message. Since they delete messages when the limit is
      reached, the resulting message is always the same: If you go over the
      limit by 1.5 Mbyte then 1.5Mbyte of messages is deleted and you're back
      to 0.0.

      This is really annoying. I strongly suggest complaining to Yahoo about
      this limit. They _can_ remove the limit but will only do it if enough
      people complain. They must understand that this is an important group
      and not some people exchanging holiday pictures.

      From "know your smileys":
      :-X My lips are sealed