32805Re: Attention! warning message at yahoo groups

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Oct 1, 2002
      Gary Johnson wrote:

      > On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 01:44:42PM -0700, Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
      > > I just saw this warning message when I went to yahoo groups page to
      > > do a search in it.
      > >
      > > Warning! Your group has exceeded its message storage limits of 64 MB
      > > by 0.0 MB. If you don't remove messages, older messages will be
      > > deleted to make room for new ones
      >
      > It seems to me a strange coincidence that the same message appeared at
      > about the same time on the mutt-users archive pages, e.g.,

      > It doesn't seem very likely that both the vim and mutt-users groups
      > would have stored exactly 64 MB at the same time. I would suspect
      > either a bug in their software or a policy change.

      I got a reply from an insider. It appears that the policy for the
      storage limit already exists for a longer time, but they only recently
      added the warning message. Since they delete messages when the limit is
      reached, the resulting message is always the same: If you go over the
      limit by 1.5 Mbyte then 1.5Mbyte of messages is deleted and you're back
      to 0.0.

      This is really annoying. I strongly suggest complaining to Yahoo about
      this limit. They _can_ remove the limit but will only do it if enough
      people complain. They must understand that this is an important group
      and not some people exchanging holiday pictures.

      --
      From "know your smileys":
      :-X My lips are sealed