22984Re: Vim Regina: tragedy in .5 act

  • Florentin Ionescu
    Nov 1, 2001
      Vim help is there, and is structured on operations "syntax hilighting",
      "new menus" etc. What I was wondering is if would be difficult to make
      a general INDEX titles/sub-titles which would cover what help is available
      in all files. Basically would be a summary.

      Thank you,
      Florentin.

      On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Austy Garhi (n. d'i-b.) wrote :

      tgal)Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 17:10:28 -0800 (PST)
      tgal)From: "Austy Garhi (n. d'i-b.)" <tgal@...>
      tgal)To: "vim@..." <vim@...>
      tgal)Subject: Vim Regina: tragedy in .5 act
      tgal)
      tgal)Vim is like King Oedipus: a King rendered useless, castrated, by
      tgal)his self-gouging of his own eyes, a walking dead. If eyes are
      tgal)what allows the individual to find his way around the world of
      tgal)objects, then the HELPFILES of Vim are the eyes that allow the
      tgal)user to find her way through the forest of mechanisms that Vim
      tgal)offers. Ohhh... ohhh... but how sad! The Vim HELPFILES are a
      tgal)FORREST OF CONFUSION themselves! They do not let the user see
      tgal)how to use the Vim capabilities. They are a maze of dangling
      tgal)modifiers, double negations, coma-spliced sentences, ran-in
      tgal)clauses, misnomers of features, etc., etc., etc.
      tgal)
      tgal)A veritable tragedy.
      tgal)
      tgal)TEST CASE: using the intrinsic terms "save saveas selected block",
      tgal)try to find help in the helpfiles to answer the user's question
      tgal)"how do i save a `selected` block of text to a new file?" V.g.:
      tgal)
      tgal)==> :h sav<tab>
      tgal)==> :h select<tab>
      tgal)==> :h block<tab>
      tgal)
      tgal). . . nothing!
      tgal)
      tgal)
      tgal)
      tgal)---
      tgal)__Austy Garhi__ (n. d'i-b.)
      tgal)
      tgal)"We should take care not to make the intellect
      tgal) our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles,
      tgal) but no personality." --Albert Einstein
      tgal)

      --

      Have a nice day on the planet earth....
      Florentin.