22922Re: problem with netrw plugin, scp and windows path syntax

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Oct 31, 2001
      Scott Bolte wrote:

      > On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 19:33:07 +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > >
      > > I wrote:
      > >
      > > > The problem is tempname returns a path such as C:/temp/foo.
      > > > The external scp command looks at the C:/temp/foo and
      > > > interprets C: as a host name instead of the drive component
      > > > of a path.
      > >
      > > Do you perhaps have 'shellslash' set? Try resetting it then.
      >
      > I tried setting shellslash and while it did perform as
      > expected, it did not alter the basic problem.

      No, it would have to be reset. But apparently you already had this.
      Thus it's not a backslash versus slash problem.

      > Let me be more concrete in my example. Here are the commands
      > I type at a tcsh prompt on a w2k box w/ cygwin:
      >
      > % setenv TMP c:/temp
      > % C:/usr/local/vim/vim60/gvim.exe scp://wu//tmp/ss
      >
      > A separate window is popped up in which the external scp
      > command is called. In that window the following messages
      > are shown:
      >
      > C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe /c scp wu:/tmp/ss c:\temp\VIA4.tmp
      > ssh: c: No address associated with hostname
      > lost connection
      > Hit any key to close this window...
      >
      > As you can see, the request to the remote host wu is made
      > for the file /tmp/ss. My setting TMP is shown to be effective
      > by the use of c:\temp. Setting shellslash does result in
      > the temporary file switching from c:\temp\VIA4.tmp to
      > C:/temp/VIA4.tmp. However, the leading "c:" is still present
      > and still confusing scp.

      Apparently you are using a "scp" command that doesn't understand MS-DOS
      file names. Perhaps it's a cygwin version? I suggest you try getting
      another version, one that does understand c:/temp. Would be useful
      anyway. Sorry, I don't have a URL for you.

      --
      INSPECTOR END OF FILM: Move along. There's nothing to see! Keep moving!
      [Suddenly he notices the cameras.]