20003Re: Conditionally sourcing a file based on sub-filetype

  • Dan Sharp
    Aug 13, 2001
      At 03:23 PM 8/13/2001 -0400, Daniel Einspanjer wrote:
      >Did anyone ever have any input on this?
      >
      >On Wed, 1 Aug 2001 16:27:02 -0400, Daniel Einspanjer wrote:
      > >I've started using closetag.vim, and I like it a lot. I'm looking for
      > an easy
      > >way to automatically source it when editing a compatible file. This would
      > >include html, xml, asp, jsp, php, etc.
      > >
      > >My problem is this:
      > >If I edit a jsp file, the jsp syntax file automatically sources the html
      > >syntax. main_syntax is defined as jsp, but no variable is stored
      > stating that
      > >this file is also html (kind of like a sub-filetype). I could modify
      > html.vim
      > >to automatically source closetag.vim, but it doesn't seem like a good
      > practice
      > >because when I upgrade to the next version, html.vim would be gone unless I
      > >specifically remember to copy it over (and possibly merge any conflicts). I
      > >believe this is what the $VIM/vimfiles/ directory was made for. To give
      > you a
      > >common place to put *your* files that are version independent. I could add
      > >code to my vimrc file to source closetag.vim, but then I'd have to keep
      > a long
      > >list of all the different syntaxes that it works with, instead of relying on
      > >the inclusion code already contained in the html.vim sourcing code path.
      > >
      > >Am I missing an easy way to do this?

      Unfortunately, I don't think there is a quick and easy way to do this with
      the existing files. The correct way would be to create ftplugins. You
      could create an ftplugin/html.vim that sources closetag.vim and it would
      get loaded automatically for HTML files. Then you would create an
      ftplugin/jsp.vim that includes

      runtime! ftplugin/html.vim ftplugin/html_*.vim ftplugin/html/*.vim

      so that all the HTML plugins get loaded as well, similarly to doing
      runtime! syntax/html.vim in the jsp syntax file. You would put the same
      sort of line in each ftplugin that also should have access to the HTML
      plugins. You *could* create a $VIM/vimfiles/syntax/after/html.vim that
      would get loaded after the distribution's syntax/html.vim, and put your
      "source closetags.vim" in there, but I wouldn't recommend it. I think
      functions like sourcing closetags.vim belong in the ftplugin group and
      should be independent of syntax highlighting. Since $VIM/vimfiles is your
      personal directory, though, you can do whatever you want :)

      Another option, though probably not what you want, it to modify
      filetype.vim so that when it detects the filetype of the file, it creates a
      variable listing the "associated" filetypes (like for jsp, the associated
      filetypes would be java and html). That would serve as sort of a master
      list of what should be included for that filetype. Then, both the syntax
      files and the ftplugin files could have access to the associated filetypes
      variable and could parse it to load the related syntax files and
      ftplugins. This is probbaly a little too complex, though, and would
      require redoing quite a bit of the existing files.

      Dan Sharp
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic