19647scrolling and conditional map

  • Arafat Mohamed
    Aug 1, 2001
      I appreciate you guys helping me out while I've been learning vim. I've been
      reading the documentation and learning as much as I can on my own. Some
      things though, I can't seem to find the doc for (or can't find the right
      keyword combination to look up). I hope you guys can help me with a few
      things...

      1) I notice that if I use l to scroll (am I using the right word?) right, if
      I get to the end of the line, it doesn't move on to the next line. Is there
      a setting to fix this?

      2) I figured out how to use :map, however, is there a way to make it
      conditional? e.g. only use a map if I'm editing a java file.

      3) If I have my window split, how can I switch between my open buffers
      without using the mouse?

      4) Is there a way to go the next buffer? I know how to use :b4 to go to
      buffer 4. But what if I don't know the buffer number?

      5) I set sw=2 and ts=2. If I'm on a newline and hit <TAB>, I get the right
      indentation of 2 spaces. However, if I do this when I'm in the middle of a
      line, for some reason, my tabstop reverts to 8 spaces. What am I doing
      wrong? I also set smarttab, autoindent, and smartindent.

      Thank you,
      Arafat