18667Re: Five questions about VIM

  • Gary Johnson
    Jun 1, 2001
      On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 05:21:17PM -0700, Dave McCooey wrote:

      > (2) When the cursor is at the end of a line, I would like the 'L'
      > (move right) key to cause an alert (e.g. audible bell or visual
      > flash) rather than moving to the first character of the next line.
      > Is there a way to do this?

      This is controlled by the 'whichwrap' option, which defaults to the
      behavior you want (at least in 5.6). So either the default setting was
      different in 5.2 or 'whichwrap' (or 'ww') has been set in your .vimrc.
      See ':help whichwrap'.

      > (3) I would like the '%' command to work on angle brackets ("<" and ">")
      > the way it works on other matched-pair characters. This is very
      > useful in HTML files and other files with similar angle-bracket
      > syntaxes. The previous vi-like editor I used did this, but vim
      > does not (at least by default). Is there a way to enable this?

      This is controlled by the 'matchpairs' option. To enable matching '<'
      and '>', add this to your .vimrc:

      set mps+=<:>

      Again, this applies to 5.6 and later; I don't know about 5.2.

      Gary

      --
      Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
      garyjohn@... | RF Communications Product Generation Unit