142654trying to autostart the rainbow_parentheses plugin in all new buffers

  • Pierre Masci
    Jul 13, 2014
      Hi, I'm starting to use rainbow_parentheses.vim in order to get colourful parentheses (very useful for nested code):
      https://github.com/kien/rainbow_parentheses.vim
      and I want it to be activated by default in all new buffers.

      To activate the plugin manually, I have to do:
      :RainbowParentheseActivate (or :RainbowParentheseToggle)
      :RainbowParentheseLoadRound
      That works great but I don't want to type this every time I open a file.

      So I tried the options proposed in the doc to have it "always on":
      au VimEnter * RainbowParenthesesToggle
      au Syntax * RainbowParenthesesLoadRound
      It does work on the first file that I open, but not on any extra other buffers that I open afterwards (with :vs for example).

      Just for the sake of experiment, I tried to replace this line:
      au VimEnter * RainbowParenthesesToggle
      with that one:
      au VimEnter * RainbowParenthesesActivate
      but now even the first file that I open doesn't have any coloured parentheses.
      I can't understand why: Activate seems to work like Toggle when I use them manually.
      But if I put this, then it works on that first file:
      au VimEnter * RainbowParenthesesActivate
      au VimEnter * RainbowParentheseLoadRound
      but still not on other buffers that I open.

      I've tried to add this but it doesn't work either:
      au BufNewFile,BufRead * RainbowParenthesesActivate
      au BufNewFile,BufRead * RainbowParenthesesLoadRound
      au BufNewFile,BufRead * echo "TEST"
      even though "TEST" gets printed.
      I just can't understand what's going on.

      Any idea how to solve this, or even just how to investigate further?

      PS: I'm asking for help here because the Github repository does not allow to create issues, and the author hasn't done anything on Github for a year now.