142645Re: RFE: honor 'eol' setting regardless of 'binary' flag.

  • Eric Pruitt
    Jul 12, 2014
      On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 04:09:01PM -0700, Linda A. Walsh wrote:
      > 2) is to not make changes to a user's file unless they
      > ask them to be made (i.e. 'eol' would be "true" by
      > default -- don't modify end-of-file). With the
      > option to modify EOF by adding an 'eol' being
      > the optional behavior?

      I am opposed to this change because Vim is primarily a _text_ editor,
      and its defaults should reflect as much. Certain text editors
      (*cough*sublime*cough*) default to not adding an EOL at the end of
      files. If honoring the EOL were the default behavior, then I would have
      to manually verify (or be prompted every time) whether or not every text
      file I edit has a proper EOL at the end of the file. I edit
      files-from-users-whose-editors-don't-add-EOL far more often that I edit
      binary files with Vim, and I imagine that's the situation for most Vim