141038Re: Vim Weekly

  • Ben Fritz
    Jan 28, 2014
      On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 7:23:50 PM UTC-6, tawheed abdul-raheeem wrote:
      > On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:56:04 PM UTC-5, MarcWeber wrote:
      > > I haven't seen a single spam commit on my wiki yet. And if it happens
      >
      > I dont doubt that but that is probably because it has not yet gained a
      > lot of traction from the community and also web bots. I was not there
      > when vim-wikia started but I am pretty sure that they made such
      > assumptions.

      On the contrary. vim-wikia was started specifically BECAUSE the original
      vim tips, hosted on vim.org, were seeing excessive amounts of spam, and
      it was too hard to deal with the spam. Wikia provides staff to help
      fight spam, filters, revert tools, page protection (temporary), etc.

      One of the biggest goals of the vim tips, is to allow ANYBODY to add or
      comment on them (or edit them, in the wiki anyway). Requiring a github
      or other account to edit will turn too many people away. Requiring all
      submissions to go through a single person will also discourage
      participation.

      Look, it's cool that you want to share your Vim knowledge with the
      community with a weekly tweet or something. But it's not going to
      replace the tips in the current form.