139876Re: [Bulk] Re: Missing drive indicator, alien '=', missing ':' (gVim on Windows)

  • Nikolay Pavlov
    Nov 10, 2013

      On Nov 11, 2013 3:53 AM, "Justin M. Keyes" <justinkz@...> wrote:

      > On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 6:35 PM, Suresh Govindachar
      > <sgovindachar@...> wrote:
      > > It is because in addition to having opened the file via it's path, I have also opened the file via a link (Windows mklink /D command) to it.
      >
      > Bingo. I noticed this myself awhile back. It makes sense, actually.
      > When you softlink/hardlink something on unix, your goal is not to put
      > the same file in multiple locations, but rather to have different
      > inodes pointing to the same blocks. The file paths are different,
      > therefore applications should treat them as such.

      Two hardlinks are one inode. Two hardlinks are two directory entries pointing to the same inode.

      Soft links are just files with special attribute that contain path to another file. Two soft links are two different inodes, but nobody is pointing to any blocks. Soft link is pointing to a path, not blocks.

      > > I assume the same situation (multiple buffers for the same file opened via links) is present on unix too.
      >
      > I think so (someone else care to verify?). Compare junctions to the
      > Windows "shortcut" concept which is literally just a redirect that an
      > application may choose to follow to the actual path. If Vim supported
      > Windows "shortcuts", I would guess its behavior would match what you
      > had expected with junctions. But with junctions, the application (Vim)
      > has no knowledge of the fact that two paths happen to share the same
      > blocks on the filesystem.

      Soft links/junctions are supported by C file manipulation functions. *.lnk files are not. Application may open soft link as if it was not a soft link, but it must pass a special flag then.