139431Re: Latest failed compilation

    Oct 3, 2013
      On 03/10/13 00:18, Gregory M. Caughey wrote:
      > On 10/2/2013 8:03 AM, Gregory M. Caughey wrote:

      >>> In my Vim for GTK2/Gnome2, cscope finds the Status identifier as
      >>> follows:
      >>> - defined by typedef at
      >>> /usr/include/X11/SM/SMlib.h line 168
      >>> /usr/include/X11/SM/SMlib.h line 306
      >>> /usr/include/X11/ICE/ICElib.h line 163
      >>> - defined by #define at
      >>> /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h line 87
      >>> /usr/include/X11/ICE/ICElib.h line 36
      >>> - used 77 times; the Vim sources among them (as opposed to system
      >>> include files) are:
      >>> src/gui_x11.c line 775
      >>> src/if_xcmdsrv.c line 266
      >>> src/os_unix.c line 1858
      >>> src/os_unix.c line 1923
      >>>
      >>> In all cases (and also in system include files) I see that identifier
      >>> used as a type, which conflicts with its use as a data-name in your
      >>> /usr/include/w32api/winnt.h which is indirectly included by the line
      >>>
      >>> # include <windows.h>
      >>>
      >>> at line 86 of src/mbyte.c and within the range of an #ifdef
      >>> WIN32UNIX. The only #include earlier in the same source file is for
      >>> "vim.h" with quotes.
      >>>
      >>> Bram, do you think we _can_ avoid this conflict, considering that the
      >>> conflicting definitions are both in system include files?
      >>>

      >>> Best regards,
      >>> Tony.
      >> Have just attempted to compile "vim-7.4.046" and it bombed at the same
      >> location and error message as I described earlier in this thread.
      >> Since it appears nobody else is having this problem, I will assume for
      >> the moment there is a problem with my current CYGWIN installation. I
      >> quess I'll try downgrading several packages and see if this solves
      >> this issue.
      >>
      >> v/r,
      >> Greg
      >>
      > This problem is apparently only related to my building of the GUI
      > version. Disabling the GUI stuff is allowing the compilation to complete
      > error free.

      Aha! Well, gvim for Cygwin (to be run with the Cygwin DLL) is meant to
      be used under X11, which is not very practical on Windows. OTOH, Vim can
      also be compiled _on_ Cygwin (or MinGW) _for_ native Windows using the
      src/make_cyg.mak (or src/make_ming.mak) makefile: such executables run
      on any Windows system with no need for either X11 or the Cygwin DLL at
      run-time. IIUC, "Vim without Cream"
      http://sourceforge.net/projects/cream/files/Vim/ is compiled in that
      way; as of this writing, its latest version is a 7.4.27 compiled
      2013-09-19. For comparison, the very latest patchlevel published by Bram
      Wednesday -day before yesterday- is 7.4.50, and you'll find a
      single-line summary of every 7.4 patchlevel at
      http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.4/README (or by FTP at the same
      address).

      Do not dry clean.