139375Re: Calling a user function via a map cancels visual mode

  • skeept
    Sep 28, 2013

      > The : in your mappings is what ends visual mode.
      >
      > You can't avoid this, but you can go back into visual mode with the same region as you had, simply by adding 'gv' to the end of your mapping.
      >
      > :help gv

      Thanks Ben,
      I modified my function and mappings to the following:

      function! JumpToNextNonMatching(direction)
      let flags = ''
      if a:direction < 0
      let flags = flags . 'b'
      endif
      let ntimes = max([v:count, 1])
      let i = 1
      while i <= ntimes
      let i = i + 1
      let curr_line = getline('.')
      let spattern = '^[^' . curr_line[0] . '][^' . curr_line[1] . ']'
      call search(spattern, flags)
      endwhile
      nohlsearch
      if a:direction == 2
      mark >
      endif
      if a:direction == -2
      mark <
      endif
      endfunction
      nnoremap ,n :<C-U>call JumpToNextNonMatching(1)<CR>
      nnoremap ,N :<C-U>call JumpToNextNonMatching(-1)<CR>
      vnoremap ,n :<C-U>call JumpToNextNonMatching(2)<CR>gv
      vnoremap ,N :<C-U>call JumpToNextNonMatching(-2)<CR>gv

      This almost works, if I am moving backwards it progressively increases the visual selected area, but if I am moving forward the visually selected area remains the same because it seems that `gv` brings the cursor back to the beginning of the selection...
      Any idea on how to make this work also for the forward movement?

      Regards,
      Jorge