139351Re: Something to wrap a selection

  • Harry Putnam
    Sep 26, 2013
      Paul Isambert <zappathustra@...> writes:

      > For any further fun, try “:help [range]”.

      Oh no... you're not getting off that easy... hehe.

      Honestly, you'll probably wish you never started, but I'm not getting
      enough out of this bit of code to see how to make it do what I want.

      Quest 1) How is the code determining what comment char to use?
      I created a file some.conf With some commented lines followed by
      variable value. The comments are `#', and yet the code uses '//'.
      Plus there is no space after // . But seems like it should be '# '

      The emacs code tries to guess the right comment char, but if it
      doesn't know from the file name, then it asks me which one to use.

      Quest 2)
      Further, the already commented lines are not recommented as in my
      posted example (Not the first post... I had it wrong there) So, In
      that case, I can't tell at a glance, 2yrs later, what the original
      suggested value was

      Example:
      Lets say we start with this:

      # commented line1
      # commented line2
      # suggested value
      my newvalue

      Or maybe as often this:

      # commented line1
      # commented line2
      suggested value
      my_newvalue

      After calling MarkChange, I want to see this:

      # [Keydate: DATE]
      # # commented line
      # # commented line
      # # suggested value
      my_newvalue

      or

      # [Keydate: DATE]
      # # commented line
      # # commented line
      # suggested value
      my_newvalue

      so I can see right away what was the original value and how I changed
      it.

      I tried changing even a few minor things in the code and right away it
      blows up and fills the buffer with numerous threats and warnings hehe.

      I'm not understanding the syntax much at all.