139317Re: Question about communication with system clipboard

  • Nikolay Pavlov
    Sep 25, 2013

      On Sep 23, 2013 8:48 AM, "Gary Johnson" <garyjohn@...> wrote:

      > On 2013-09-22, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      > > On 22/09/13 11:01, Jacek Czaja wrote:
      > > >Hi,
      > > >
      > > >I 'm searching an advice on following problem: copying from vim to
      > > >system clipboard. and then using what i copied out of vim.
      > > >
      > > >What works for me:
      > > >1) Start my gvim (configuration below) and i copy given line to * register
      > > >2) I switch to terminal  and insert Shift+Insert and I got it pasted
      > > >  And it works like a charm.
      > > >
      > > >What does not work for me is:
      > > >1) Start gvim, copy to * register
      > > >2) Close gvim
      > > >3) try to paste what I copied to clipboard from gvim before it was closed.
      > > >
      > > >And this does not work.  So how can I make it work for me eg. copying to
      > > >system clipboard from vim , closing vim and then using copied value.
      > > >
      > > >I'm using gvim 7.4.27 from fedora 19 repo
      > > >configuration:
      > > >VIM - Vi IMproved 7.4 (2013 Aug 10, compiled Sep 11 2013 12:27:48)
      > > >Zadane łaty: 1-27
      > > >Zmieniony przez <bugzilla@... <mailto:bugzilla@...>>
      > > >Skompilowany przez <bugzilla@... <mailto:bugzilla@...>>
      > > >Olbrzymia wersja z GTK2 GUI.  Opcje włączone (+) lub nie (-):
      > > [...]
      > >
      > > Try copying into the + register (the CLIPBOARD) instead. That is what
      > > is used by Edit→Paste, Edit→Cut, Edit→Copy.
      > >
      > > Register * is the SELECTION, filled in many programs by selecting
      > > text, and pasted by middle-click.
      > >
      > > Note that these two registers are different on X11 but not on Windows.
      >
      > An important difference between these two registers on X11 is that
      > the primary selection (Vim's * register) is owned by the
      > application, whereas the clipboard (Vim's + register) is owned by
      > the X server.  The contents of the primary selection disappear when
      > the application owning that memory is terminated.

      They are all owned by the application. This fact may be hidden by various clipboard managers though: they obtain the clipboard and repost it from their name thus becoming owners themselves. As clipboard manager is a daemon that normally does not stop it looks like if clipboard buffer is owned by X server, but it is not.