139238Re: Separating multiple user-defined commands with | (bar)

  • Nikolay Pavlov
    Sep 19, 2013

      On Sep 19, 2013 5:51 PM, "Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> On 2013-09-18, Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:
      >> >
      >> > On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Paul wrote:
      >> >
      >> >     On Wednesday, September 18, 2013, Ben Fritz wrote:
      >> >     > :he :command-bar
      >> >
      >> >     That certainly helped.  Thanks, Ben.
      >> >
      >> > so what is the correct way to say | is it actually bar?
      >> > I have always called it pipe....
      >>
      >> It depends on the context in which it's being used.
      >

      > Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking of actually making a few FreeBSD
      > tutorial videos.. then show the install of vim/gvim.. and that got me thinking..
      > What do I call the darn charterers when I refer to them.. things like:
      >
      > | ` { [ ~
      >
      > or when you give a command with a parameter like  vim --help
      > how do you refer to the -- part... I could say minus - minus or I could say
      > tac - tac... I suppose there is no universal standards that I know of...

      I have never heard about "-" being a tac.

      About universal standards: there is Unicode and it defines also human-readable names. Bar is "VERTICAL LINE" there, "-" is "HYPHEN-MINUS" (because it contains also both hyphen and minus signs which usually look better on appropriate places). I do not think though your speech would be easy to understand if you will use Unicode names, but nevertheless it is a universal standard.