139237Re: Separating multiple user-defined commands with | (bar)

  • Sam Fourman Jr.
    Sep 19, 2013

      On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...> wrote:
      On 2013-09-18, Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:

      > On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Paul wrote:
      >
      >     On Wednesday, September 18, 2013, Ben Fritz wrote:
      >     > :he :command-bar
      >
      >     That certainly helped.  Thanks, Ben.
      >
      > so what is the correct way to say | is it actually bar?
      > I have always called it pipe....

      It depends on the context in which it's being used.

      Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking of actually making a few FreeBSD
      tutorial videos.. then show the install of vim/gvim.. and that got me thinking..
      What do I call the darn charterers when I refer to them.. things like:

      | ` { [ ~

      or when you give a command with a parameter like  vim --help
      how do you refer to the -- part... I could say minus - minus or I could say
      tac - tac... I suppose there is no universal standards that I know of...
      --

      Sam Fourman Jr.