139176Re: Emit Terminal Keycodes from within ViM

  • Saad Malik
    Sep 16, 2013
      On Saturday, September 14, 2013 10:46:28 PM UTC-7, Hayaki Saito wrote:
      > Hi,
      >

      > I usually use app escape mode, too.
      >
      > I hope this smart feature becomes widespread.
      >

      > By the way, I may be able to answer your question if I don’t misunderstand it.
      >
      > I always send raw sequence to the terminal by the following way.
      >

      > :call writefile(["\e[?7727h"], '/dev/tty', 'b’)
      >

      > This is equivalent to:
      >

      > :call system(‘echo -en “\e[?7727h” > /dev/tty’)
      >

      > if vim runs in tmux session, we need to call as follows,
      >

      > :call writefile(["\ePtmux;\e\e[?7727h\e\\"], '/dev/tty', 'b’)
      >

      > -- Hayaki Saito
      >

      > 2013/09/15 7:14、Saad Malik <s@...> のメール:
      >

      > > Hi All,
      >
      > > I've been searching on this topic for hours but couldn't find anything relevant on the internetz.
      >

      > > _What_:
      >
      > > In VIM, map <F6> to emit/send the following Mintty terminal keycode "\e[?7727h".
      >

      > > _Why_:
      >
      > > Cygwin Mintty terminal has a special mode (app escape mode) when enabled emits \eO[ (instead of regular \[) on ESC key. Using this I mapped <Esc>O[ to <ESC> which immediately exits insert mode. To enable App Escape mode for mintty, the following terminal code needs to be sent "\e[?7727h". To disable the app escape mode: "\e[?7727l".
      >

      > > I've set my &t_ti = "\e[?7727h" and &t_te = "\e[?7727l". This works great--as soon as I start VIM, vim emits the t_ti code to enable Mintty app escape mode. As soon as I exit, t_te emits the app escape off code.
      >

      > > However, I run into a little bit of trouble when running vim inside of tmux. If I exit Vim in a window, the app escape mode OFF is sent--then switching to another running window with ViM ALREADY running causes issues since app escape mode is off and ESC key won't generate the special \eO[ code.
      >

      > > I was thinking of a simple manual step to just emit App Escape Mode ON keycode (using F6) whenever I find ESC not working properly.
      >

      > > _How_:
      >
      > > ..... half-way through writing this post I realized a simple fix .... If I execute any SHELL command from within VIM (e.g: :!echo "hellooo"), Vim will run the script and then regain control. What I just realized is that when Vim regains control--it'll emit whatever is in &t_ti --which includes my App Escape Mode ON.
      >

      > > Anyway, for the sake of argument is there a Vim one liner that emits terminal keycodes from INSIDE Vim (without running an external script)?
      >

      > > See the following links for more info:
      >
      > > https://plus.google.com/110860299900460184325/posts/bJWrtA7Kh9C
      >
      > > https://code.google.com/p/mintty/wiki/Tips#Avoiding_escape_timeout_issues_in_vim
      >
      > > https://github.com/saamalik/dotvim/blob/master/init/mintty.vim
      >

      > > --
      >
      > > --

      > > ---

      Thank you Hayaki. That's exactly what I was looking for. Do you bind the new escape sequence like this?

      noremap <Esc>O[ <Esc>
      noremap! <Esc>O[ <C-c>

      Also, when you abort a single letter replace: (hit ESC on a 'r' normal command), is there a '[' on the line above? Presumably because 'r' eats up the ESC but the O[ is inserts the character [ on the line above. This doesn't bother me a whole lot, but did you figure out a way to fix this?