139156Re: error doing search using :grep or findstr

  • dapio
    Sep 14, 2013
      On Saturday, September 14, 2013 8:07:08 PM UTC+1, Ben Fritz wrote:
      <snip>
      > If you want to search the current file with findstr instead of Vim's built-in search, you can grep the current file:
      >
      > :grep foo %
      >
      > Note this searches the on-disk file, you would need to save first.

      When I write a file, save it as e.g. ~/d.dd

      do :grep there %

      It then exits back to the shell where I had launched vim and the shell then says

      So it adds the "Shell returned 1" line and the "Press ENTER line"

      "C:\Program Files (x86)\Vim\vim74>vim

      shell returned 1

      Press ENTER or type command to continue"

      If I press ENTER it adds these lines

      "(1 of 1): FINDSTR: Cannot open d.dd
      Press ENTER or type command to continue"

      that last line is in green, if I push ENTER it goes back into VIM.

      > Alternatively, if you don't care about using quickfix, you can write the current buffer content to stdin and see the result only in the pop-up command window:
      >
      > :w !findstr foo

      that line works

      > Or, filter the buffer through findstr, replacing the buffer contents with the result:
      >
      > :%!findstr foo

      yep, that does as you state I see that when the pattern is there it leaves it, and when it isn't there it wipes the buffer.

      so I can't get the :grep there % to work, even when the file is saved