139155Re: error doing search using :grep or findstr

  • Ben Fritz
    Sep 14, 2013
      On Saturday, September 14, 2013 8:37:38 AM UTC-5, dapio wrote:
      > If I run findstr from a cmd prompt, I can see that if you give it no parameters, then it says bad command.. And if you give it a pattern and no file or stdin, then it tries to take from stdin
      >
      > C:\>"c:\Program Files (x86)\Vim\vim74\vim"
      >
      > C:\>
      > C:\>
      > C:\>findstr
      > FINDSTR: Bad command line
      >
      > C:\>findstr there
      > dsfsdf
      > dsfds
      >
      > C:\>
      >

      > When in VIM,
      > e.g. I open a cmd prompt and run
      > C:\Program Files (x86)\Vim\vim74>vim.exe
      >
      > I write some text dfdsfdsfsdfsdfsdfsds__there_dfsdfdsfdsfdsfsd
      >
      > and do
      >
      > :grep there
      >
      > then it exits back to the cmd prompt and tries to read stdin until I Ctrl-C
      >
      > http://i.imgur.com/ES5yHea.png
      >

      > Why can't it read what is in VIM?

      Because, the :grep command is what Vim uses to search files. You still need to provide the files to search. See http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Find_in_files_within_Vim.

      If you want to search the current file with findstr instead of Vim's built-in search, you can grep the current file:

      :grep foo %

      Note this searches the on-disk file, you would need to save first.

      Alternatively, if you don't care about using quickfix, you can write the current buffer content to stdin and see the result only in the pop-up command window:

      :w !findstr foo

      Or, filter the buffer through findstr, replacing the buffer contents with the result:

      :%!findstr foo