139061Re: Set different highlighting for Search versus current quickfix error

    Sep 4, 2013
      On 05/09/13 01:12, Paul wrote:
      > On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 6:44:24 PM UTC-4, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      >> On 04/09/13 23:51, Paul wrote:
      >>> The GUI highlighting for the current quickfix item seems to be the
      >>> same as whatever I set the Search group to. Is there a way to have
      >>> a different guibg color?
      >> ...With me it doesn't: I just did a :helpgrep, and the current quickfix
      >> item didn't get _any_ highlighting: with the cursor on it,
      >> :echomsg synIDattr(synID(line("."),col("."),0),"name")
      >> synIDattr(synIDtrans(synID(line("."),col("."),0)),"name")
      >> synIDattr(synID(line("."),col("."),1),"name")
      >> synIDattr(synIDtrans(synID(line("."),col("."),1)),"name")
      >> ...didn't display anything. Or if it did, it was because there was
      >> some highlighted syntax item (such as between |bars|) just under the
      >> cursor.
      >> I'm using gvim 7.4.16 (Huge) with GTK2/GNOME2 GUI.
      > I'm using vim 7.3 on Windows 7. When I issue:
      > :echomsg synIDattr(synID(line("."),col("."),0),"name")
      > :echomsg synIDattr(synIDtrans(synID(line("."),col("."),0)),"name")
      > :echomsg synIDattr(synID(line("."),col("."),1),"name")
      > :echomsg synIDattr(synIDtrans(synID(line("."),col("."),1)),"name")
      > I get:
      > qfFileName
      > Directory
      > qfFileName
      > Directory
      > It's interesting that you don't see the current quickfix item highlighted. I thought that maybe I set something to turn on quickfix highlighting, but I can't seem to find the switch. I searched the web and the quickfix help to see if quickfix is *suppose* to highlight the current item by default, but didn't find indications of that either.

      I get the same as you do if I do :copen first. What I referred to was
      the current quickfix item as found _in the text_ by :cnext, with no
      quickfix window actually open.

      I see this item as blue on white, and doing ":verbose hi qfFileName" in
      the quickfix window gives

      qfFileName xxx links to Directory
      Last set from /usr/local/share/vim/vim74/syntax/qf.vim

      The Search highlight, OTOH, is black on yellow. Not at all the same
      thing for me, which makes me ask: Which colorscheme are you using?

      To link qfFileName to something else, or to define specific colours for
      it, just use a new or modified colorscheme.

      To modify a colorscheme, first copy it to ~/.vim/colors/ (for *x
      systems) or to ~/vimfiles/colors (for Windows), change its name, and
      modify it there (including setting g:colors_name to the new name); then
      alter the calling line so that it calls the new name. It is not possible
      to invoke colorschemes recursively (or at least, I tried and didn't

      Best regards,
      Women are just like men, only different.