138591Re: regex variable

  • Nikolay Pavlov
    Jul 19, 2013

      On Jul 19, 2013 5:49 PM, "BPJ" <bpj@...> wrote:

      > 2013-07-19 09:59, shawn wilson skrev:

      >>> No (I assume you want different regex syntax, probably PCRE).
      >>>

      >> libpcre would be fine, yes. Or the library that Ruby uses - either way.
      >

      >> Yeah, it looks like sed's syntax. If I'm used to writing things one way
      >> (say in code) and then hit '/' to do a similar thing inside my editor,
      >> switching mindset constantly makes me loose my thought (generally what
      >> happens) or make stupid errors like earlier in this thread.
      >

      > I feel the same sometimes, as I code Perl in Vim on a daily
      > basis, but Vim's (old) regex engine/syntax actually allows useful
      > things which are impossible or hard inn Perl, not only the other
      > way around. And I can always filter through a perl oneliner if I
      > want to use perl's regex engine. Can't you do the same with Ruby?
      > Vim regexes come closer to Perl's if you use of \v and so that
      > ought to bring you closer to PCRE too unless the "PC" is now only
      > an historical leftover (I haven't looked at the specs in a long
      > time, but hey) The only thing I regularly miss in Vim regexes is
      > \Q...\E. \V...\v comes close, although you still have to escape
      > your backslashes under \V.
      >
      > So I guess I should file a feature request for support of \Q,
      > although someone probably has already...

      To have this a way to embed variable is needed in first place. Otherwise you would need to escape \E which can only be done with a more complex (compared to escape()) substitute() call or a new function. AFAIR embedding variables was indeed requested.

      The thing I constantly miss in vim RE engine is unicode and locales support.