138504Re: Mapping meta key within tmux

  • Thomas E. Dickey
    Jul 13 3:05 PM
      On Friday, July 12, 2013 7:06:23 PM UTC-4, Gary Johnson wrote:
      > The problem is that tmux sets TERM to "screen" and the key
      > definitions in the terminfo database for "screen" don't match those
      > of the terminal you are actually using.
      >
      > One way to fix this would be to make tmux set TERM to the name of
      > the terminal you are actually using, except that the tmux(1) man
      > page says not to do this.

      :-(

      It's vague - saying that the entry has to be a derivative of "screen",
      without saying in what way. A quick check on my Fedora18beta shows
      that someone's setting it to screen-256color.

      "screen" on the other hand provides for the ability to map TERM
      into screen.$TERM if that happens to be available. I added several
      entries to the terminal database to use this feature simply because
      screen never matches any of the terminals exactly (line-drawing,
      color, function keys all have issues).

      tmux does not appear to implement this mapping (If tmux adopted
      that feature, it would be an improvement).