138309Re: compatibility with Sun's original vi for command :su

  • Christian Brabandt
    Jun 25, 2013
      On Mon, June 24, 2013 23:54, Paul Maier wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > the original vi on Sun took :su as :suspend,
      > whereas vim takes :su as :substitute.
      >
      > I am very used to typing :su.
      >
      > Would it be possible for VIM 7.4 to add a new compatibility flag to
      > cpoptions
      > about the meaning of :su ?
      >
      > suggested compatible flag: :su = :suspend, :s = :substitute
      > without the flag: :su = :substitute

      Looks like a bug to me. POSIX also requires :su to be used for
      :suspend (http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xcu/ex.html)

      Do we need a new cpo setting here, or should it be enough to
      patch vim to take :su as :suspend?

      regards,
      Christian