138116Re: Sending buffer to Vim server

  • Marcin Szamotulski
    Jun 13, 2013
      On 19:16 Thu 13 Jun , Claus Atzenbeck wrote:
      > Hi all:
      >
      > I start appreciating Vim's server capabilities: "vim --servername vim",
      > followed by "vim --remote" from another terminal.
      >
      > Now, imagine that I have 2 instances of Vim running, of which one has
      > been started as a Vim server.
      >
      > Is there a way to push a Vim buffer from one instance to the Vim server?
      > (This would be directly from within Vim, *not* by calling "vim --remote"
      > from command line)?
      >
      > (( Explanation why I'd like to have that: I have Vim server running. In
      > addition to that, my e-mail application starts new instances of Vim for
      > typing e-mail messages. Sometimes, I'd like to copy text from buffers
      > open in Vim server. Certainly, I could save them and re-open them in my
      > mail's Vim instance, however, it would be more efficient to push a
      > buffer to Vim server, change it there and push it back to my mail's Vim
      > instance. ))
      >
      > Any hint is appreciated.
      >
      > Best,
      > Claus

      You cannot send buffers to a server. But you can read buffers: just use
      :edit filename, and when vim detects that there was a change choose
      [R]eadonly. Alternatively you can write a function which ask the
      server for a buffer's contents and puts it to new buffer in the 'email'
      instance of vim.

      Best regards,
      Marcin