137911Re: search with offset

  • Tim Chase
    Jun 1, 2013
      On 2013-06-01 11:40, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
      > Do you know how to repeat vim search preserving the offset. For
      > example /hello/;?Mark?
      > the n and N commands seems to forget about the offset, well actually
      > they forget about the patter and remember only the offset.

      This is strange, as n/N remember the other {offset} modifiers:

      /thing/e

      goes to the end of the next "thing" match. I'd consider classifying
      this as a bug: either in behavior, or in (lack of)
      clarification in the documentation.

      > I have found that vim remembers the whole search
      > pattern+offset in the search history (:h :histget()).

      With this information, you could do something like

      :nnoremap n /<up><cr>

      to get "n" behavior, but it gets tricky when you want to reverse it
      (you'd have to swap the "/" for "?" in the "right" placs, and define
      whether you want to search backwards for pattern#1, then forwards
      for pattern#2 (what I suspect you want), or backwards for pattern#1
      and then backwards further for pattern#2.

      -tim